I DO………………..NOW WHAT??!?!?
You meet, date, butterflies, things are great! You can’t imagine spending a day without one another, he buys a ring, she says yes!!A few months later you say I do , go on your honeymoon and then it’s back to real life!!
The honeymoon phase is over, what happens next?
If you are like most newlyweds, the 1st year of marriage is usually the hardest, no matter how long you have know each other, dated or even lived together. In the 1st year of marriage, every single trial and tribulation that can occur usually will! Things that you found “cute” before are now just plain annoying, and if you don’t find a way to accept certain flaws, prepare to become a statistic, 1 in every 12 couples divorce within 20 months of marriage.
Although there is no way to escape the 1st year “learning program”, there are thing you can do to make the 1st year and ever year after that successful! Here are 10 tips to help you have a successful marriage!
1. Before you even say I do, make sure that YOU DO!! Marriage is a full time job that requires a lot of overtime! Be ready to put the work in, or get fired!
2. Know that you can NOT change one another! Of course there will be times of compromise, but a complete change is very rare! And why would you want to change them, you fell in love with them that way!
3. Have a financial plan. You are building a life together, make sure you plan accordingly! Are you buying a house? Having children? Planning to travel?
4. Be their biggest cheerleader!! Always support one another and give honest feedback on any endeavors your partner is participating in.
5. Set aside date night. Often after marriage ,couples become consumed with work and children,pick a certain day a week when it’s just the 2 of you to go out to dinner, catch a movie or any other activity you enjoy. Just make sure it’s out of the house, non work related and kid free!
6. Find other married couples to hang out with! The couples can share tips and give advice to one another.
7. Spend time apart and hang with your own friends. As important as it is to spend time together it is equally important to have that time with your friends to unwind.
8.Respect and represent one another at all times! Your wedding ring represents that your spouse is with you at all times, even when they are not physically there. Act as you would if they were beside you!
9.Cater to their needs! We all crave some type of attention, no one should show your spouse more attention then you. Give compliments, roses, or massages randomly, it’s usually the smallest things that make the biggest impact. And remember ,what you did to get them, is what you must do to keep them, and more!
10.Keep your sex life spicy! Move it out of the bed,maybe into the kitchen Role play, spice it up!!